The Community Access Program is an initiative of the Government of Canada which aims to provide Canadians with affordable public access to the Internet and the skills they need to use it effectively. The program is administered by Industry Canada as part of their youth initiative and we, at University Settlement, participate in the program.
The CAP initiative does the following:
– provides access to technology for all Canadians
– aides in the development of skills required for a strong workforce in the modern economy
– promotes innovation in communities across Canada
The program plays a crucial role in bridging the digital divide by contributing to the foundation for electronic access to government services, encouraging online learning and literacy, fostering the development of community based infrastructure, promoting Canadian e-commerce, and providing training with assistive technology.
University Settlement also partners with the Ontario Library Association in the operation of our Community Access Site. The responsibilities of the Community Access Program Youth include:
- Performing network troubleshooting, computer hardware/software maintenance, and other technical support for the local community access site
- Developing websites and other promotional materials in order to create awareness within the community
- Training and facilitating workshops that focus on computer and Internet use
- Assisting clients with various aspects of employment and self-employment
To book an appointment, please contact:
Phone: (416) 977-8325 x 223